The Year 1933 (MCMXXXIII) started is a normal year starting on Saturday.
- January 5 - Construction on the Golden Gate Bridge begins.
- January 11 - Sir Charles Kingsford Smith makes the first commercial flight between Australia and New Zealand.
- January 15 - Riots in Spain result in the deaths of almost 100 people.
- January 17 - The Philippines gains its independence from the United States.
- January 30 - Adolf Hitler is appointed Chancellor of Germany.
- February 4 - A mutiny starts on the Dutch pantserschip De Zeven Provincien.
- February 6 - The 20th Admendment of the United States Constitution goes into effect.
- March 2 - The original version of King Kong premiers in New York City.
- March 3 - A powerful earthquake and Tsunami hits the japanese city of Honshu killing about 3,000.
- March 10 - An earthquake hits Long Beach, California killing 117.
- March 20 - Dachau the first Nazi concentration camp is completed.
- March 27 - Japan leaves the League of Nations.
- April 27 - The Stahlhelm organization joins the Nazi Party.
- May 10 - Paraguay declares war on Bolivia.
- June 6 - The first drive-in theatre opens in Camden, New Jersey.
- June 21 - All non-Nazi parties are forbidden in Germany.
- July 1 - The London Passenger Transport Board is founded.
- July 4 - Gandhi is sentenced to prison in India
- August 25 - The Diexi earthquake hits Mao County, Sichuan, China killing about 9,000 people.
- August 30 - Air France begins operations with 250 planes.
- September 26 - A tornado destroys the town of Tampico, Mexico with no fatalities.
- October 10 - An bomb in Indiana destroys a United Airlines Beoing 247
- October 26 - Germany announces its intentions to leave the United Nations
- October 27 - Albert Einstein arrives in the United States as a refugee from Nazi Germany; he accepts a position at Princeton University.
- November 11 - Dust Bowl: A strong dust storm hits South Dakota.
- December 18 - The Korean Empire (North & South Korea) is founded.
- December 24 - A train crash in Lagny, France kills 200.
- December 26 - The Nissan Motor company is founded in Tokyo, Japan.
- October 6 - Sir Keith Weedon, English musician